Follow my art adventures by email

Subscribe for email notifications of new blog posts

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Sketching along the way - Northern California and GNSI Conference

I just returned from a trip to Northern California and I'm full of inspiration, new connections, and ideas! I kept a sketchbook/nature journal along the way. Keeping a sketchbook is a great way to record your experiences in a visual way. Drawing pictures and taking notes has a way of helping you remember information. Some of these sketches may turn into larger more finished paintings in my home studio, we'll see. . .

I thought I'd share my trip in pictures from my sketchbook and some field notes. I hope you enjoy them.
Morning coffee sketching at our Airbnb in San Francisco
The main purpose of this trip was to attend the GNSI (Guild of Natural Science Illustration) Annual Conference on the beautiful campus of UC Santa Cruz. My good friend and colleague, Gretchen Kai Halpert, and I decided to expand our trip to San Francisco and the Sonoma Valley the week before the conference. Gretchen was a delight to travel with, and no, we are not sisters (we were asked this three times!?)
Gretchen Halpert and Me; Hiking in Petaluma, CA





These two sketches below were drawn in pencil and pen on location, then I added the watercolor later. Sometimes, working out in the hot sun has its time limits. If I can get the lines in while out in the landscape, it's easier to add some color from a photo reference later.
Top: Bay Bridge in San Francisco. Bottom: Golden Hills and Live Oak Trees in Petaluma, CA.

California Poppies were growing wild everywhere. They were such a beautiful pop of color in the dry landscape.
California Poppy Sketch

Week two - we arrived on the UC Santa Cruz Campus for the GNSI conference.
UC Santa Cruz is known for banana slugs. The Banana Slug is a bright yellow, slimy, shell-less mollusk commonly found in the redwood forest surrounding the college. Of course, being serious nature artists, we had to take some "Slug Selfies" when we found one near the lecture hall.

Slug Selfie
There is also a beautiful Botanical Garden and Arboretum on campus. Here's a sketch of one of the many white eucalyptus trees growing there.
Eucalyptus Tree in UC Santa Cruz Arboretum

If you love science, nature and art I highly recommend the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators. You can find more information about this non-profit organization on their website: gnsi.org. I am a member of the Finger Lakes Chapter of GNSI, meeting in Ithaca, NY. They are the most welcoming and generous group of artists I have ever meet.

During the conference there are several opportunities to take workshops with talented Science Artists. Below are the handouts, and my painting, from the Mushroom Painting Workshop that I took with Julie Himes. It was informative, and fun.
Mushrooms Painting Workshop with Julie Himes




The following pictures are from the second half of the conference week, when we ventured off campus for field trips.
While kayaking in the Elkhorn Slough we saw Otters, Harbor Seals, Sand Dollars, a Sea Hare, and lots of birds. We were able to kayak slowly and quietly by this colony of  Harbor Seals.
Colony of Harbor Seals in Elkhorn Slough, Moss Landing. 
I was fascinated by the pattern of tiny spines on the bottom of this living sand dollar. I have only seen them dried out and for sale in booths at the Jersey Shore.
Sketch of tiny spines on living Sand Dollar

We visited the Natural Bridges State Beach and spent a few hours observing and sketching the tide pools. There is so much life and drama in each one.
Notes on the Tide Pool 

Sketch of one tide pool with Sunburst Sea Anemone, Mussels, Turban Snails, and more!
Sketch of Mussel shells found on the beach at Natural Bridges.
Natural Bridges State Beach is known for this Sea Arch carved out of Santa Cruz Mudstone.
Sea Arch of Mudstone at Natural Bridges State Beach.

The last field trip of the week was to the Redwoods forest. We had a guided tour through the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, just north of the UC Santa Cruz Campus. Here are my notes from the tour:
Redwoods Notes

 There was a little time a the end of the tour for doing some sketching. So I speed walked back to my favorite tree- "The Giant", a 270 foot tall, 17 feet wide spiraling Redwood, and did some quick drawing. I added the color later.
"The Giant"
Scientists are still not sure why some of the Redwoods spiral and twist as they grow. There are a few theories. You can read more about it in this article: 
Why Do Some Trees Grow in Spirals?

Perhaps the most impressive fact we learned about the Redwoods was that they absorb more carbon dioxide (CO2) than any other tree on earth. This makes them important players in climate change. Here's another interesting article on the trees: 
Redwoods keep the climate healthy for us all.


Overall this was an inspirational and information-filled trip for me. I hope I've inspired you to keep a sketch journal on your next trip. I'll have my sketchbook on display during my show at the West End Gallery in Corning NY, if you'd like to thumb through it, and get a closer look. Join me for the reception on Friday September 9th, 5:00 - 7:30 pm. We can chat about my trip and the new paintings in the show! If you can't make it that night, the exhibit will be on view from September 2 - October 14, 2016. 

Happy traveling and sketching,
Bridget








4 comments: